Notes on Secularism
NDTV has made available the soft copy of the Lieberhan report on the Babri Masjid demolition. The voluminous 1000 odd page report contains a dedicated chapter on “Secularism”. I have not yet read the chapter completely (nor the report, of course) but at first glance, it looks more like the author’s personal rant against BJP, RSS and Hindus in general. Here are some quotes from the particular chapter. The numbers at the beginning are section numbers from the report.
- 146.6 “Killing of many muslims in cities is a well known act of extremist Hindu groups”
- 147.1 “BJP managed to channel the frustration of illiterate or semiliterate persons into a destructive direction and tried to increase its political impact for which it stoked mass hysteria”
- 147.2 “BJP is the successor of Jan Sangh and Hindu Mahasabha. Jan Sangh and Hindu Mahasabha had failed in their nationalist movements”
- 147.2 “There is no doubt that during the elections three quarters of Hindus in India have not voted in favor of BJP rather for secular parties”
- 147.5 “Most of the Muslim emperors with passage of time were Hinduised…”
- 147.7 “In recruiting candidates for the Ayodhya movement widespread illiteracy had been exploited by skilful political leaders”
- 148.4 “The recluse or the Sadhus and Sants come to the belief that nothing matters beyond political desirable results however achieved. Politicians had not turned Sants, but Sants turned politicians”
Based on reading this chapter, I am wondering if the report is about the Babri Masjid incident or a “secular analysis” of the BJP & RSS!